Full course description
Welcome to Beyond Time and Money: Teaching Mathematics. This training was developed by Texas SPED Support in collaboration with the Texas Education Agency.
Math is important for students with significant cognitive disabilities because it permeates so many of our daily living activities. While learning math can be challenging for students without disabilities, it may be a particularly difficult subject for students with significant cognitive disabilities. This course will focus on strategies for teaching math and how specialized mathematics instruction can be embedded in the general education classroom.
The learning objectives for this training are:
- List several reasons why it is important to teach math to students with significant cognitive disabilities.
- Describe the cognitive development continuum of mathematics understanding.
- Describe strategies for teaching early mathematics knowledge and skills.
- Describe strategies for teaching higher-level mathematics such as geometry and algebra.
- Describe how specialized mathematics instruction can be embedded in the general education classroom.